Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
This recipe is hugely popular. It is one of our most requested recipes and for good reason. The potatoes, cannellini beans and hemp make this equally as creamy as your dairy filled alternative and the gentle flavours from herbs and spices will make you come back for more!
Makes 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, washed and chopped
- 2 heads, roasted garlic
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced up the centre, rinsed of any sand and chopped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 & 1/2 cups hemp milk (or alternative milk of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
In a large pot, heat olive oil and add the onions and leeks. Season with salt and pepper and sautée until softened (about 5 minutes) add the potato and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned. Add the roasted garlic, vegetables stock, water and bay leaves. Increase heat until boiling and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are very cooked and falling apart. Add the cannellini beans, almond milk, hemp seeds and rosemary.
Puree with a hand blender or wait until the soup cools to blend until smooth.