Breakfast For Busy (Breastfeeding) Moms
Do you wake up feeling like a ravenous bear coming out of hibernation? While it can be hard to find time to eat healthy (or at all) when you've got little ones, it's important to give your body the fuel it needs to make it through a chaotic, exhausting, spit-up and poo-covered day. This easy breakfast will get you off to a good start.
Besides being a good source of fibre and protein, oats can help with a healthy milk supply. When you're breastfeeding, you're usually starving, but you also want to lose that baby weight.
Bottle feeders, this is obviously great for you, too! We know you work just as hard or harder (all that bottle sterilizing is a full-time job!).
This nutritious breakfast will fill you up and provide the nutrients you need to make it through the morning—or for at least until tea and cookie time—because let's face it: you deserve a treat!
A few tips that make this breakfast extra successful:
• A serving is 1/2 cup of dry oats. Try that amount a few times and if it's not enough, try 3/4 cup, but remember to bulk up your bowl with fruit and super food seeds.
• Use dates instead of maple syrup, honey or sugar to sweeten the oats and to help keep you regular.
• Pre-mix chia seeds, ground flax seeds and hemp hearts and keep them in a container in the fridge so you can quickly add them to your bowl.
• These seeds add more protein, omega fatty acids and help fill you up.
• While your oatmeal is cooking, or you're waiting for the kettle to boil, drink a giant glass of water with lemon juice to boost your metabolism and fill you up a little.
• Top your oats with half a banana and other fruit. (Or take bites of banana between bites of oatmeal if baby is crying and cutting up fruit seems like too much work. We get it!) Bananas provide fibre, vitamin C and B vitamins. They're also high in potassium, which helps balance your electrolytes and can help keep you hydrated (keep drinking water).
• 1/2 cup quick oats
• 1 or 2 dates broken up into pieces
• 1 - 2 tsp of chia, flax, hemp mix
• 1 cup of water (or whatever the package suggests)
• Banana and other fruit
• 1/4 cup almond or other milk
Put oats, water and seeds in a bowl and put in the microwave or add boiling water from the kettle to your bowl.
Drink water with lemon.
When oatmeal is ready, add fruit and milk.
Enjoy! (Quickly and with one hand, because you're probably holding baby with the other.)