DIY Chemical-Free, Natural Cleaning Products
The side effects of using chemicals to clean your house have been the centre of many studies recently. Ingredients found in your most common cleaning products are known—or at least, suspected carcinogens, endocrine disrupters or reproductive toxins. In other words, they may cause cancer, block natural hormone production, affect fetal development or lead to sperm damage in men and infertility in women. The concern over the long-term. low-level exposure that many of us live with is growing.
Both homemade and commercial eco-friendly alternatives are a wonderful way to keep your family safe from the dangerous effects of inhaling, touching and even unknowingly digesting these chemicals.
Healthy alternatives are as simple as stocking your pantry with natural disinfecting and non-toxic items. Vinegar such as Bragg’s organic vinegar is a mild disinfectant that prevents mould. Bragg’s in particular has a mild scent and with the addition of essential oils you can have your home smelling fresh and toxin free.
A variety of essential oils are available in health food stores and offer a wide range of benefits. Lemon oil is also great at cutting through grease and grime. Combining lemon with herbaceous essential oils such as basil or thyme, can offer you incredible cleaning power.
Tea tree oil can be combined with other essential oils, such as lavender or orange in green cleaning recipes. As an antimicrobial, antifungal, antiseptic, bactericidal, and insecticidal, it is an excellent oil to keep your kitchen and bathroom clean.
Commercial Eco-Friendly Alternatives
Your local health food store or even your grocery store may carry eco-friendly products that contain safer, natural ingredients that are biodegradable, free from perfumes and dyes, and come in recycled, recyclable packaging.
RECIPES FOR ESSENTIAL OIL CLEANERS
Lavender All-Purpose Cleaner
- Fill a spray bottle 3/4 full of water.
- Put a few squirts of mild, eco-friendly, dish washing liquid inside the bottle.
- Add three to five drops of lavender oil.
- You can also replace the lavender essential oil with pine or lemon.
- Screw the top on the bottle and shake it well.
- Use the cleanser for kitchen, bathroom and other household surfaces.
- Scrub and wipe with a water-soaked sponge after application.
Pine Floor Cleaner
- Mix 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar into a quart of water.
- Add five to 10 drops of your favourite essential oil.
- Most people prefer to use pine, lemon or spruce.
- Apply to the floor with a mop.
- Rinse with clean water after a few minutes of application. The essential oil will work to reduce the smell of the vinegar.
Lemon Vacuum Cleanser
- Soak a small tissue in five drops of lemon essential oil.
- Allow the vacuum to suck up the tissue. The smell of the oil will take away the dusty smell of the vacuum.
- If the vacuum has a water reservoir, add 5 drops of lemon essential oil directly to the reservoir.
- Add 25 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to your laundry detergent when you want to clean sheets, bedding or pillows. Eucalyptus oil has been shown to kill dust mites.
- Add five drops of tea tree oil to the laundry detergent when washing cloth diapers. This has been shown to have extra disinfectant qualities.
- Add two drops of lemon essential oil on a stain. Rub it into the fabric and allow it to sit on the stain for a few minutes before placing it inside a washing machine.
- Wet a clean washcloth with water and 10 drops of lemon, lavender, ylang ylang, clove, melaleuca, bergamot or another fragrant essential oil. Place it inside the dryer along with your other clothes. Your load of laundry will smell like the oil of your choice.
Essential Oil Window Cleaner
- Place one cup of distilled white vinegar inside a spray bottle. Pour in water until the bottle is 3/4 full. Shake the spray bottle to mix the vinegar and water.
- Add 10 drops of lemon essential oil. Shake again. Spray onto window surfaces and wipe off with a lint-free cloth or paper towel.
Note: This story contains affiliate links. So Fresh Magazine only partners with brands we truly believe are safe and healthy for you, your family and the environment.