The 50 Cent Health Boost
Epsom salt is the easiest, cheapest and most relaxing way to boost your health. Comprised of the minerals magnesium and sulphate, Epsom salts are used as a natural exfoliant and anti-inflammatory remedy for many ailments. As a rich source of easily absorbable magnesium, a mineral that is essential to the function of every single cell within your body, adding Epsom salts to a bath or foot soak is an easy and cheap way to give your health a boost. Here are a few things that magnesium does for your health.
Magnesium in The Body:
- Increases energy production within every cell
- Helps build strong and flexible bones and increases the absorption of calcium and vitamin D
- Enhances circulation, helping to bring nutrients to every cell in the body
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease by regulating blood pressure, lowers serum cholesterol levels and triglycerides and prevents plague build up in the arteries
- Eases muscle cramps, spasms, headaches and tension throughout the body and promotes a restful sleep
- Decreases insulin resistance and promotes proper blood sugar levels
- Relaxes the digestive tract and relieves gas, bloating and constipation
- Aids in weight loss
- Preventative role in many cancers
Symptoms of Deficiency:
The bad news is that you are probably deficient in magnesium (as 80% of tested adults are) due to the many lifestyle factors that deplete magnesium, such as lack of sleep, excess stress, or alcohol/caffeine consumption. On top of that, many natural sources of magnesium are becoming depleted (such as the soil due to over-farming and high pesticide use) and water filtration systems removal of much of the naturally occurring magnesium in water. As a result, you may be experiencing these symptoms of deficiency:
- Fuzzy brain, difficulty concentrating or bad short term memory
- Poor coordination, fatigue or chronic tiredness
- Poor sleep or insomnia
- Irritability, anxiety, restlessness or high levels of stress
- Muscle cramping, soreness or spasms
- Heart palpations
- Cold extremities or thyroid problems
- Infertility or PMS
- Allergies or sensitivities
- Sugar cravings
- Insulin resistance or kidney stones
- Gut disorders, especially constipation
- Frequent cavities or poor dental health
Using Epsom Salt
For a whole body restoration and sleep promotion, go for a bath or foot soak
- If you are suffering from any discomfort within the body or need a solid night’s sleep, an Epsom salt bath or foot soak is an evening must.
- Add at least 1 cup (2 cups if the pain or insomnia is aggressive) of Epsom salt to a warm bath or a container that your feet can fit into and soak for 20 minutes.
For relief from digestive cramps, gas or constipation:
- Dissolve two tablespoons of Epsom salts into a cup of warm water and slug it down like a champ. If you find the taste terrible, add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Wait 30 minutes to four hours after drinking the solution to see results. If nothing happens after 4 hours, consume another cup of the mixture.
For healthier, clear skin
- Simply adding Epsom salts to any of your current skin products will give your skin a healthy boost. Here are some super powered methods to target specific skin concerns:
- To exfoliate the skin, rub a handful of Epsom salt over damp skin.
- To clean the skin, add a teaspoon of Epsom salt to your regular cleanser
- To get rid of blackheads: mix one teaspoon of Epsom salt with 4 drops of liquid iodine (buy at the health food store or online) into ½ cup of hot water. Stir until completely dissolved. Let the mixture cool until warm and massage the mixture into your skin. Once the skin is completely dry, wash your face with warm water and pat dry with clean cloth.
- To wash and moisturize your hands and skin: mix equal parts Epsom salts with baby oil. Place by each sink and in the shower for everyday use.
For itchy, burning or infected feet
- Rarely prescribed, epsom salts help to treat athlete’s foot, toe nail fungal infections and any itching or burning of the feet. Add ½ cup of Epsom salts to warm water and soak your feet for as long as you want.